Sunday, June 14, 2009

Public Wildflower Gardens

I'm having a look at any other public native species or "wildflower" gardens in the area I can find, which today included one at the New Canaan Nature Center and another behind the Hurlbutt Street School in Wilton.

For the most part, the "wildflower garden" at the New Canaan Nature Center appears to be a wet meadow that is mowed once a year, and so it is actually appropriate to call these "wildflowers." They say that 90% are native. I was attracted to the Canada Anemone that formed a very attractive border. That's one of the plants on my "must get" list.



I then found the tiny garden behind the Hurlbutt Street School, which is an old one-room schoolhouse from the 1800's. According to a blurb I found on the internet, the plants were rescued when Route 7 when in quite awhile ago, and the Wilton Conservation Commission is working on restoring the garden and getting some labels. In the picture below, that's pretty much the entire garden.



I'm going to keep looking , but so far I haven't found anything in the area quite like what we're doing in Shelton.

No comments:

Post a Comment