Monday, June 1, 2009

3 Good Reasons for the Deer Fence

Reason number one: The Brown-Eyed Susans (Rudbeckia fulgida) that have been growing in my garden for years look like they were hit with a mower this year. I salvaged what I could today by transplanting them at Eklund (photo above), which is protected by a deer fence. Not sure how many will make it - some are mostly just stems.

Reason number two: My native Woodland Phlox at home had most of the blooms neatly nipped off (photo). Phlox spread each year, so I cut away the excess and transplanted that at Eklund today.


Reason number three: The Purple Coneflower in my garden has been nipped off repeatedly the past few years. I took the pathetic remains and transplanted them next to the healthy Purple Coneflower from Earth Tones that was just planted this year at Eklund. Compare the two in the above photo. The one from my garden is the sad thing on the right. It's supposed to look just like the one on the left. Actually it should be bigger since it wasn't a new plant in a pot, but well established in a garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment