Monday, March 23, 2009

Things are getting frantic...

The race is on! I'd like to get the $2500 worth of perennials planted in late April or early May so everything has to get done NOW. I'll be setting up an email list for work parties. If you would like be on that please email me at conservation@cityofshelton.org. Sunday afternoons at 1:00 pm look like they will be our normal work times, but over the next month I expect to be out there much more frequently.

Deerfence: I managed to get the funding arranged (out of Conservation's budget, miraculously approved by the Mayor) and picked up the materials for a deer fence last week. Unfortunately, the Boy Scout organization won't approve installation as an Eagle Scout project because it needs to be done so quickly. Looks like I may be installing most of the fence with the help of my teenage son. I'll still need help for the gates, however.

Bypass Trail: I cleared most of the bypass trail yesterday and have asked the Trails Committee for assistance in finishing that up. I wanted to clear that out before the fence went in so deer and bikers can get used to it being there. The pond looks like it's a vernal pool, and there were tons of wood frogs "quacking" away while I was working up in the garden.

Raking: I've also been raking. This is heavy raking, since I'm removing possibly decades of accumulated debris. Next year should be easier.

Brushpile: There's one heck of a brush pile that needs chipping! I'm thinking the chips could be spread on the trail from Oak Valley Road to the garden.

Driveway: The driveway into the site has also been cleared and I've spoken with Dean (Parks & Rec) about removing the boulder and cable blocking the entrance and replacing that with a chain and padlock. The driveway will allow access for a woodchipper and deliveries.

Existing Plants: Some of the plants suffered from frost heave and I replanted those. We may have already lost some to the deer. The bearberry and crowberry were definitely nibbled on.

New Plants: Per City charter, I need to receive 3 quotes for the plants. Not sure how that will work out for something like Native Species, but we shall find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment