Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A New Beginning

In January we received a $2500 grant from the Iroquois Company to stock the garden. WhooHoo!! Before then I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how we were going to fill up all this space. The more we cleared, the bigger the gardens got. I had no idea there were so many beds when I started. You couldn't see them since they were covered with forsythia, grape vines, and that evil black swallowwort.

At any rate, we are definitely in business with this grant. I am now working on a plan to enclose the garden with deer fence BEFORE we do our planting in May. A recent DEP fly aerial survey showed 48 deer per square mile in our area. That's about five times more deer than there should be. As the deer denude the forest, they'll be eating our gardens more and more, so that fence is critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment