Friday, May 15, 2009

Twombly Purchases

Picked up my first load of perennials using the Iroquois grant today from Twombly. Pictured above are Wild Blue Lupine, which are not the same as the ones you see a lot in Maine (those are from Europe I believe).


I just happened to walk by some cactus and asked if they had the native Prickly Pear and YES they did! WhooHoo! I took one and plan to go back and get more, after I complete my raised sandbed. I've seen these growing in the wild along the shore and at the top of some of the traprock ridges in central Connecticut.


Here's some Bloodroot, a spring woodland wildflower, one of the ones you really treasure hiking because it's so early in the spring when it blooms and the woods are still bare.

Here's the list of plants from Twombly:

10 Wild Blue Lupine (Lupinus perennis)
5 Wild Pine (Silene caroliniana)
7 Bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata)
5 Bloodroot (Sanguinaria Canadense)
3 Sharp-Lobed Hepatica (Hepatica acutiloba)
5 Eastern Blazing Star (Liatris scariosa)
5 Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)
3 Green Dragon (Arisaema dracontium)
1 Prickly Pear (Opuntia humifusa 'Lemon Form')
5 Doll's Eye or White Baneberry (Actaea Pachypoda)



No comments:

Post a Comment