Sunday, May 3, 2009

Native Species

A reminder about what "native species" is all about - the plants and animals originally from this region, like this tiny red eft, which I uncovered in the pipsisswa.

And....the fence is done!!!!! Whoohoo!! Terry and Ryan worked in the rain for several hours to complete the job.

I spent much of this cool, rainy day transplanting and distributing the pile of leaf mulch that Richard dropped off. I took a few Dutchman's Breeches and Red Trillium from Birchbank. There are thousands of Dutchmans Breeches and hundreds of Trillium there, so they won't be missed. I did note that the soil at Birchbank, which was historically the Housatonic floodplain, is a very dark, rich silt. Quite different from the glacial soils at Eklund, so I don't know how they'll do. Transplanting was difficult because the silt just fell off of the roots and everything was essentially barerooted.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment