Monday, May 4, 2009

Dwarf Ginseng

More cool, wet weather today, so I transplanted some Dwarf Ginseng and Spring Beauties from the Far Mill River floodplain off of Mill Street, where they were abundant, along with a Jack-in-the Pulpit. Some of them were growing in pure sand, and all were growing in an area that is completely flooded with a raging torrent about once a year.

I planted them interspersed in a clump (photo), because that is how they are growing along the Far Mill River. I likewise planted the Trillium and Dutchman's Breeches interspersed in a clump, since that is how they grow at Birchbank. The latter two looked pretty good this afternoon.

I think I goofed on transplanting celandine from my yard. According to some sources, including the USDA, Celandine Poppy is native to the south and west of Connecticut (Penns and Maryland). The CT Botanical Society says Celandine is from Europe. After some head scratching and web browsing I discovered there are several plants called celandine (ah, yes, that's why they want us to use only Latin names which no one can pronounce or remember). One is native, but it looks like the one I have (I think is it Greater Celandine) is not. Phooey.

I was disappointed to find both gates left wide open this evening, just after I placed signs asking people to keep them closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment