Friday, June 5, 2009

Plant Labels


I've just received a big box of blank copper plant labels. The steel frame is spanned with removable copper foil. I'm printing out all the plant names using MSWord (Tempest Sans ITC font 18 to 22 pt), taping the name onto the copper, using a ballpoint pen to inscribe the writing through the paper onto the copper, then removing the paper and rescribing with the pen. After that I just go over it with an extra-fine Sharpie. The ink will fade, but the inscription should remain, so I can always go back over it with the Sharpie if needed. The shiny copper will also weather. Finally I reattach the copper foil and put a bend in the steel frame so the labels face upward.

The labels came from www.mountainvalleygrowers.com and were about $100 for a box of 250. Very economical! Another option would be professional inscribed labels at a cost of about $5 per label. But I expect some vandalism and these copper labels will be easy enough to replace.


No comments:

Post a Comment